Thursday 1 July 2010

March 31 2010 – Retirement

A very short post. This will have to do instead of Face Book or Friends Reunited.

I finally retired from work on 31 March 2010.

I left school in 1963 and took up an apprenticeship with a long dead Company – Associated Electrical Industries (AEI). It was not for me. I moved on to work at North West Gas, Henriques Tape Manufacturing Company, Norwest Construction Company, Solaglas Ltd, Vanguard Textiles, and finally Balderstone Technology College.

At various times I was a Technical Assistant, Works Manager, Assistant Managing Director, Administration Manager, Commercial Manager, Part Time Teacher, and Computer Technician.

I was without a job for two periods, 8 months in 1991 due to redundancy, and 5 months in 2001 due to a resignation issue.

Most of the time I enjoyed my jobs and the responsibilities which accompanied them.

I made a lot of friends, joined Gymnastic and Rugby Teams, and when in Management Positions tried to be fair and encouraging.

I am now signing off from work so to quote Douglas Adams – “So long, and thanks for all the fish”.

Kathie and I married in 1970 and July 11 2010 marks our 40th Anniversary. My early retirement was so that we could spend as much time together in our new home in Sunny Spain.

Here are a bunch of pictures selected from the thousands we have of our lives together, some are work related, others holiday photos.