Friday 26 June 2015

March 2015 - The wrong headlights


In preparation for the transfer of my Audi on to Spanish plates I needed to buy "Right Hand Drive" lights in order to meet the requirements of the Spanish road test (ITV).

I was given advice from a mechanic who had rented the apartment below us and he gave me the necessary part numbers. The lights were on sale in Poland and could be had, including delivery, for only €50 each.

I duly ordered them and took them to my favourite garage to be fitted. This proved impossible as the lights, despite being advertised on the website as for my car, had the lugs in the wrong place and the adjusters for raising and lowering them were missing.

Back to the drawing board.

The only ones we could now find with the correct serial number were €1200 each so it looked like the car would be brought back to the UK to be disposed of. The lights were returned to Poland for a refund. Prices given for their delivery by courier ranged from over €100 down to €30 so had I not found the cheapest courier I would have been stuck with them.

The auto electrician in the garage, Top Car in San Miguel, then closely examined the old lights and found that they were adjustable to a small degree. Previous research with Audi had resulted in the requirement for new lights in order to dip to the right, and the advice that they were not adjustable.

So he adjusted the lights until they looked good on their beam tester, and fixed my rear high-visibility lights so that I had one on each side. Top Car promised that the car would now pass the ITV as far as the lights went.

I now handed the situation over to an expert in car transfers as this job is not for the faint hearted in Spain.

----------------------------------------